Wednesday, May 10, 2017

The Morning Sun…Some Reflections!

Thank you Monu and Sonam Yangki for having me at your lodge for the launch of The Morning Sun. It took me close to two and half hours to begin and end in one sitting.  It was a refreshing read and it was a metaphorical cruise into the life of Sonam Yangki put into words by our very own doctor.

Monu has used words and expressions to cater to all readers and I strongly recommend this book to our youth these days who with little hardships have big complaints and for whom putting in a little more effort means punishment.

Well, first things first, I am awestruck at Sonam’s endurance and her zeal to live despite the life-threatening circumstances early on in her childhood. Reading of working hard to make ends meet on a daily basis brought tears to my eyes and I will never forget the memorial Chorten incidences, Doma and Tshering later. Reading between the lines I am quite confident what Sonam underwent was 10 or so years back. I am also beginning to wonder such people like Ap Gyembo and the other uncle existed in what we call now the capital city. I also cannot forget the army officer whom I should say was a literal maniac.

Modernity has bred negativity and this fact is evident how careless and bother less were people who knew Sonam. My favorite part from the book begins after chapter 19 when Sonam’s life takes a turn for the better meeting Tshering and not forgetting Uncle Mila’s who sees the dream and desperation in Sonam when she was young. If time permits I would like to meet Sonam Yangki and Tshering in person once again not forgetting Golu. I know he will grow up be a confident bloom as he is now a timid bud. I wish him all luck and wishes. I now know its Sonam and Golu in the picture of The Morning Sun. This picture speaks. Just give it a try. I know you will!

Sonam’s love for singing and her achievements in this art is commendable considering her dedication and economic challenges she underwent in achieving the almost impossible. Sonam’s forgiveness is praiseworthy when she embraces her mother later despite all her doings and I still wonder how you cannot love your own child. The Morning Sun greets readers with a pity on the onset where one cannot help but turn the pages and read for what happens next? It is a story of survival amidst economic advances we boast of and more importantly Sonam’s struggle to find life worth living. Every plot of the story takes some obvious turns and you know how values degenerate in humans once money takes precedence over everything else in life. All in all, The Morning Sun is a story of stories but true.


Happy Reading folks and Monu! See you around buddy!

4 comments:

  1. A wonderful review by the one and only Teacher cum journalist. M humbled by these lovely words for sonam Yang and GolušŸ™
    Can't wait to read it.
    Beautiful day sir✌

    ReplyDelete
  2. My wife forced me to read this book and it was worth by our own writer who could see ourselves. A good review!!

    ReplyDelete