Saturday, September 30, 2017

Rains, Dumplings and then? Rains of course!

A couple of weeks back our course director mentioned of the orientation program to be held on the 30th of September. That is today, the last Saturday of September 2017. And here we are, dressed in our traditional attire. No sooner did we enter our faculty room, it started raining cats and dogs. I am a lover of rain and I think I need to change my perspectives on rain after what I see in Thailand. Roads flooded, drains clogged, street food corners shut and stinks.  As we entered the hall, I think we were the last ones to take our seats and a gentleman was presenting on reading, hard work and attitudes on learning with examples. He was speaking in Thai.


I nearly slipped into boredom when suddenly our course director started sending us messages in English, translating the speaker to our respective cell phones to my much needed relief. I thanked her with, “Oh thank God Ajarn…you came to our rescue.” From then on familiar faces began to appear on the screen, of course with some talks in Thai. Will Smith, Steve Jobs, Malala Yousefzai, Nelson Mandela, Gandhi and a Chinese man in a video mentioning his perseverance. All inspiring until now.

The next incidence is to today’s update. The speaker now showed a video with some Thai writings where the late King Bhumibol was pictured…Remember, I am in Thailand and must do what Thais do. The audience in front of me started sobbing and most were wiping their tears. I couldn’t help but joined them with a tear or two.

I watched a video and read a short biography on King Bhumibol Adulyadej. He was a king of extraordinary charm and the Thais reverence to him is unmatched-How can one argue with that? This is beyond words. Check out YouTube on the late Thai king.

Now my reason for joining the bandwagon with some tears is, I also belong to a kingdom and we share so many things in common. If you can draw your own conclusions over what I am intending and underpinning to say. Come October and my Ajarn tells me there will be some sort of mourning again since it’s been exactly a year since the late king passed away.

End of the program-grabbed some dumplings, some chocolate cakes and lemon grass juice. Took some pictures even with strangers because most of them were fascinated with our dress… besides the knowledge and the positivity of things just happened today, this is what all summed up to…Rain, dumplings and Rains again. We left the hall only to do this on  our way back home...



No comments:

Post a Comment