Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Fear Death…Let’s not be insolent!

‘Who is related to whom in this world, every creature is born alone and he dies alone’ a very common Bhutanese maxim reads. Relation however intimate and close it may be, everything and everyone is leveled at the crematorium. Death may be untimely but it is ultimate. Forgetting whatever one achieved and accumulated in one’s living moments is insignificant when time for departure has come and when god’s will be done.

Now you may wonder, a supposed blogger preaching about death. As obvious as it may seem I am beginning to think about what people do one of these days, seriously on people being very insolent. I was on a weekend veggie hunting at the farmers market and after I got some, back in my small car I was waiting for the familiar parking fee collector. He is a boy with humility as I have known him for the last three years or so. Before he could collect Nu: 15/- from the car before me, I saw him ridiculed by the driver who was may be too proud to park his shiny Toyota Prado. He almost punched him on the face and later threw Nu:15/- on the road and sped off.

Walking towards me and after grabbing my charges, I asked him, “Gachi Bayee Nochu”, “Kho sir ghi hema park chapchi, ganta chi Yasi”, Teru ray meetay sa lap mey”. Shob chab mey” - (What’s wrong! He parked even before sir came and left the car for an hour. He is unwilling to pay, He’s lying). The Prado owed more than just 15 bucks. I felt sorry for the boy and handed another extra ten to my charges to which he smilingly said, “Kadrinchey”.

On my way back home, I was thinking hard to connect his Prado to a meager charge of Nu:15/-. What would have gone wrong if he paid the charges? What would he pay if his Prado succumbs to an accident? And many more questions until I realized who am I to worry so much on the cruel behavior of an ill-mannered wealthy. After all, he shall die, the parking fee boy’s time will come and my time also will be done. Considering death as an ultimate equalizer, there’s no time to be so insolent and proud of one’s machine which also comes with an expiry date. Being humane matters! Remember my tryst at the CFM[i], Thimphu. Please be humble! I know you will and yes have a nice day. A food for thought perhaps to tickle your consciousness…

“Death is not the greatest loss in life; the greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live”



[i] Centenary Farmers Market

2 comments:

  1. Something I do not understand either. People drive millions worth of cars and yet some of them are unwilling to remunerate a poor parking fee collector his just due. There has got to be a name for people such as these ---- I can think of one: immoral.

    When you see people with such behavior, you realize how they would have made their money to buy the Prados.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Immoral can be apt Aue Yeshey and Credibility of the millions they earn is questionable...

    ReplyDelete