Wednesday, May 20, 2015

The Sin of Life


I find this very interesting in our culture. And some things in our culture is worth writing it down. I am wondering if people and researchers have done any research and writings on the concept of “Tshe-Nga-Mey-Ley” (Sin of one’s previous life). Look around and just listen to people’s hearsay, this phrase is cited for all mishaps and wrong doings. 
Over meetings with my friends in the evenings, just last night we talked about a special child born to a known parent, the child suffers from cerebral palsy. Dechen, instantly tells its ‘Tshe-nga-mey-ley’. The females have all the reason to believe in ‘Tshe-nga-mey-ley’. I got thoroughly confused with this tshengamey ley thing in our culture.

I know a personality that I don’t like and I cannot do anything about it. The world around me knows of this person and everyone has nothing good to say about it. I know I cannot help but write it down. My ordeal is what my friends term it as “Tshe-nga-mey-ley”.

If something doesn’t go well or is frustratingly a failure then we have a tendency to blame it on the past life and actions. If a mishap happens supposedly, just a month ago I lost my spare tyre and my buddies tell me, “Khemey, ken dhoJoWong” (its ok, a calamity is averted). Things happen for reasons known and unknown. Does it mean ‘Tshengemey ley’ is to be blamed? I am not a devout person who is abreast with the customs and religion of our country and I just know I am a plain Buddhist.

Picture Courtesy: Google
I am a divorcee and tshengamey ley is definitely not the reason. I nearly got mauled by a bear in remote Zhemgang and it too wasn’t tshengamey ley. Due to some mechanical failures, a truck veered off a cliff killing dozens in the east, just recently in the news and my mom opines, “Ai tshenga ma ga ley giwala”. Not to forget the tragedy in Nepal, was this too a Tshengamey ley of the Nepalese people?How naïve?  How obvious?

My stand on this is not to go against the cultural aspect of tshengamey ley but my reasoning is limited to my knowledge. It just avoids the trouble. I mean if mishaps or a wrong doing occurs, tshengamey ley is cited, blamed or whatever but this avoids the troubles and it’s a phrase used to console self. Any one has any other interesting ideas on tshengamey ley, I would love to read it. Until the next update on my blog, let’s see what tshengamey ley has in store for me?

Good day folks.


No comments:

Post a Comment