Wednesday, October 4, 2023

The Quintessential Samtse

Have you ever felt the irresistible pull of wanderlust, that undeniable urge to explore the uncharted territories? I certainly have, and recently, I had the privilege of setting foot in a place I had never been before – Samtse. Upon the kind invitation of the President of Samtse College, I had the opportunity to visit Samtse. 

Stepping off the car onto unfamiliar soil was an exhilarating moment. The air carried a      different scent, and the sights and sounds were entirely foreign to me. As I navigated my way through the winding roads towards Samtse, a sense of excitement mingled with curiosity and a dash of apprehension. What would this new place have in store for me?

The first few hours in Samtse were a whirlwind of sensory overload. The southern architecture was a fascinating blend of old and new buildings, creating a unique skyline that beckoned me to explore. The not so bustling streets, awash with a kaleidoscope of colors and noises is the usual way greeting northerners like me.

As I entered the college gate, I took a picture and made a story update. This was seen by my childhood friend Selden and my college mate Pem Deki. This was how a dinner with these beautiful ladies ensued.

I have a friend named Purna, now undergoing his Masters studies in Samtse, let me borrow his bran new slippers for four days as I had forgotten to pack mine due to the wanderlust excitement.

My stay in the college took me back to my university after seeing the speck and immaculate Library of Samtse College. How I wished to do some research using the actual crackle of the pages in the library instead of the internet and how I wished to reflect and soul-search in the meditation room.

The laughter with new friends, the unexpected adventures, learning on Aussie[i] cultures– these are the moments that stay etched in my heart. Travel memories have a unique power; they have the ability to transport you back in time and evoke emotions like no other.

Each new place you visit adds a layer to your identity, making you more open-minded, adaptable, and empathetic. This is what I have learned from this trip to Samtse.

Thank you, Dr. Rinchen, Dr. Sonam, Professor Vicky, Sangay, Pema and finally Acho Zangla for being with me in my short but fulfilling tryst with Samtse. 

[i] There were 10 Aussies on student exchange programme


No comments:

Post a Comment