Twenty-three years ago, I was nineteen years old, fresh out of school myself, and terrified. In 2003, before you could undergo a bachelor's degree in teaching, there was this practice of sending aspiring teachers to schools all over Bhutan. Apprentice teacher, they called us. For a kid who grew up in a city, Korphu in Trongsa might as well have been the edge of the earth. I remember the bus ride, how the road kept getting narrower and narrower until I wondered if we'd simply run out of road and have to walk the rest of the way.
![]() |
| Korphu village as seen from Nabji |
The road did run out. From , Reotala, it was walk for an entire day to reach Korphu Primary School.
Those first few weeks, I survived on noodles and homesickness. The school was modest, a few buildings huddled against the hillside, with the kind of quiet that makes city ears ring. Slowly, the children pulled me out of myself. They were shy at first, peeking at me from behind doorframes, giggling when I tried to pronounce their names wrong. By the end of my first month, they had me playing football/volleyball and I'd stopped caring about the mud.
![]() |
| The Academic Block |
![]() |
| Classrooms |
The school drew students from nearby Nabji village too. You should see the paddy fields there, terraced like steps leading to heaven, impossibly green when the rice is young. I used to stand on the school grounds and look across at Nabji.
And then there was my friend.
I am sorry to mention this, but I lost someone that year. A fellow teacher, with a laugh that could fill the entire staff room. Heart issues, they said. One morning he was there, and the next, he wasn't. In a place as remote as Korphu, the news travelled slowly and hit hard. We held a small prayer for him under that flagpole, the same flagpole that still stands today. I remember thinking how unfair it was, how the mountains just kept being beautiful while we mourned a friend.
![]() |
| My dwelling and classrooms |
The classrooms where I once stood trembling before thirty pairs of watchful eyes are now cow sheds, essentially. I don't know what makes a school die. Maybe it's the same thing that makes a village fade, families moving to towns, children born in hospitals instead of homes, progress that doesn't look back. The enrollment dropped by the years, like water seeping through cracked clay. One year, twenty students. The next, twelve. Then four. Then none.
![]() |
| Nabji in the background |
But standing there, in the ruins of my past, I didn’t just feel sadness. I felt a strange gratitude. This aboandoned place still holds everything I carry forward, the discipline of that flagpole, the faith of those prayers, the friends who are now scattered across the world but still line up in my memory, waiting for a whistle that never comes.
I think of the Lhotsham students and their little huts. I think of Nabji's paddy fields, still green as ever, unconcerned with the fate of a small school. I think of my friend, whose laugh I can still hear when the wind is right.
I am saddened by the fate of Korphu Primary School.
Note: Written in grattitude for those who remember Korphu Primary School, for the Lhotsham children who built their homes, for the farmers of Nabji who still bend over those terraced fields, for a friend who left too soon, and for every apprentice teacher who found themselves far from home and somehow, impossibly, found themselves later, anyway.
.jpeg)


.jpeg)

No comments:
Post a Comment