Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Distracted from Distraction by Distraction (T S Eliot)

These days many tell and ask me about the recent free immigration granted to the Bhutanese by the US President Donald Trump. I too came across this news on Facebook and forgetting others, even my wife at home asks me about this. I told her it’s fake. I don’t know about the general population but most of whom I know spend more time on Facebook and other social media sites. I am also no exception to these lots of people who are into internet for almost everything, if you know what I mean.

My other teacher friend who is a Dzongkha teacher also asked me this morning, “President ghi immigration thar bala dang, Bhutanese baka mangi moh(The president has granted free immigration to the Bhutanese. Is it?) A woman with scary cuts on her neck was posted some weeks ago mentioning of the incident in Punakha. Later, it was a hoax. I am sure many had a long ensuing conversation of the incident. These sorts of fake news will only create malaise in the society.

Google
I think it’s high time people know what’s real and fake on the internet. I am of the opinion that social media sites like Facebook has a powerful influence and impact over its users and people tend to think whatever posted is for real. I am also of the opinion, children be taught media literacy in schools. It’s OK for the children but what about the general population. Something should be done to educate people on what to believe and what not to believe. News of everything comes on the social media even before BBS makes an official broadcast.

I think media consumers in Bhutan need some education at a personal level otherwise going by the numbers who believe and think it’s for real is staggering. If something isn’t done now, I think T. S Eliot will be more than happy when he said, “Distracted from Distraction by Distraction”. I would like to end my update today with a food for thought and see if it's for real. I know you will!

"The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do" -BF Skinner


Good day folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment